Sunday, December 27, 2009

Any advice on how to get started hand loading for a beginner?

I'd be a beginner loading my own ammuntion, not at all a beginner with firearms. I've decided to break down and take this on.Any advice on how to get started hand loading for a beginner?
Like Tom, I also started with an RCBS Reloader Kit over 20 years ago. Mine still works well also, and I highly recommend both the Partner and the more powerful RockChucker presses.





If you have not yet purchased a press, let my strongly suggest that you start with a single stage press, like the RockChucker or Partner. They will always be useful for load development even after you advance to a progressive press.





I know it is popular to tell folks that reloading manuals are nothing but guidelines. Folks who give advise like that can generally be button-holed into admitting that they've blown up a few guns. Treat your reloading manual like it is the Gospel handed down from on high. At least until you have a few years experience and learn when and how you can safely push the envelop. Don't load below the minimum suggested load for a powder, and don't load more than the suggested maximum. At least until you have learned enough to know when and how much you can push things.





Read your manual carefully, take your time when you reload. I've never made a mistake reloading that could not be traced back to being in a hurry.





One of the most important things I learned about reloading is that best accuracy and highest velocity are seldom found in the same load. Don't be afraid to sacrifice velocity in favor or accuracy. After all, no matter how fast the bullet, if you don't hit the target, it doesn't count.





Another very important thing I learned. When in doubt, pull the bullets and start over. An overcharge can ruin your day, not to mention your gun, your hand, your face and your eyes. If you make a mistake, err on the side of safety.





Check your scales frequently. Movement of 1/2 an inch can cause it to get out of Zero and cause dangerous charge weight variations. Invest in a set of Scale Check Weights and use them before every reloading session.





Be careful, avoid distractions, and be methodical. Do this and you will greatly enjoy reloading. It took me over ten years to convince myself to get into reloading. I've kicked myself many times for being so CS about getting started reloading.





Doc HudsonAny advice on how to get started hand loading for a beginner?
All the other answers are good, and if you be careful and always go by the data in reloading manuals you will enjoy reloading.


I've been reloading since my grandfather gave me a reloading set 30 years ago when I was 14. Since then reloading has been one of my favorite and most rewarding hobbies, and I have a freezer full of deer meat to prove it.


Just be careful and when you find a load you like, load lots of them and stash boxes of ammo in case the Democrats get the gun bans they want...
G to www.cabelas.com, www.midwayusa.com or www.midsouthshooterssupply.com and look at the reloading kits. You will need to buy a kit (it is the cheapest way to go), a loading manual and a set of dies for the caliber that you will be loading. After that, you need powder, bullets, empty brass shells and primers. Never try to load any cartridges without first having a loading manual at hand to refer to. You cannot guess at how much powder to put in a cartridge. You must know exactly how much to use and you must have a reloading manual to be sure to get it right.
GOOD for you





be patient when you get started ... there are alot of great books on reloading, speer, rcbs, hornady, leeman, to just name a few.





do only one thing at a time, dont rush and take good notes. its a nice price tag to start but if you shoot alot like i do, you'll save alot of time , money and get the rounds you want. you wont regret it.......
i agree with the above good advice here's one more start with the basic loads and work your way up to what you like don't think your going to make a super hot load by mixing powder or putting to much in you will get hurt and damage your gun
Buy a RCBS Rockchucker kit and get started. Check with Midway USA for a fair price.
You have already received some excellent advise from previous responders so let me just add to what they had to say. Before you invest in equipment study the subject and decide the direction you intend to take.





I have been loading for over 35 years and still use the same reloading press I started with. When I first got into it I bought an RCBS starter kit that included a Rock Chucker press that works as good today as the day I purchased it. The only reason I bring that up is that as you evolve if you bought quality equipment in the begining it will be functional for the rest of your life. I currently have three progressive systems but I still use the Rock Chucker. Oh by the RCBS cost a little more that say a LEE but there stuff is guaranteed for a life time and they support their stuff at no cost.





Check out some of the major sporting good on line stores once you know what calibers you want to load. In addition all major powder company's provide free loading data on line.





I'm attaching a YouTube URL titled Reloading 101 Step 1. There will be five altogether and you will see the others in the index as you start the first. Good Luck it's fun and if you shoot allot you won't believe the cash you save once you recover you initial investment.





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HsvWp12T鈥?/a>





http://www.alliantpowder.com/


http://www.hodgdon.com/


http://www.reloadammo.com/


https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/MainSer鈥?/a>


http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment