Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Garden Beginner in Minnesota?

I'm planning to eventually plant a garden at my new home. The house is still in construction and I'm thinking I should at least start landscaping with trees right away in the spring so they can get a head start. I'm in northern Minnesota and hoping someone can give me suggestions for hardy types of trees or flowering trees to plant. Any ideas are welcome.Garden Beginner in Minnesota?
I live in Minnesota, too, and I love planting trees. Depending on your locale in MN you are either in zone 4 or 4a, so if you look in gardening catalogs you can choose anything zone 4 or less (zone 3 is even colder, and so on). Haralson is a great tree for MN - an apple tree that is somewhat self-fruitful. Bali Cherry is also great, as is Nanking Cherry - both fruit trees, although Nanking Cherry is more shrubby. Mock orange has a lovely scent and does well in MN (a shrub). Decide how big you want your adult tree to be, since many varieties are available on dwarfing rootstock if the adult tree would be too much for your lot.


I love buying bare root trees from catalogs, since they are so inexpensive and I've never had one die on me. I've even abused one (left it unplanted, let it dry out) and it still did fine. (Don't repeat my experiment - decide your location for your tree, dig the hole and prepare the soil %26amp; compost you'll use to fill it before you bring the tree home/before it is delivered. That way you can take it right to the hole and plant it, giving it the best possible start.) Dogwoods and crabapples give nice displays of flowers in the spring, and are also well suited to our climate. Congratulations on having such a fun project ahead of you!Garden Beginner in Minnesota?
GO to the home depot they can advice whats best in your area
Your local garden shop is the best source for this info. I live in the TC metro area, but, even plants that would thrive here, may not do as well there. Your garden shop workers should know what will thrive well. Good luck.
Congratulations on your new home.





Here is a site that will give you an idea.





http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/Minnes鈥?/a>





Don't forget to buy a Peony or two for your garden
Get help from the local extension service and garden centers.
I agree to going to a garden center. You need to find out what zone you are in and a lot of other info, but don't limit yourself. Most garden centers for the masses supply only the most common things. If you know what zone you are in you can locate a lot more variety of plants on line. If you like a plant ask questions on line before you purchase to make sure it's really what you want. I'm sure you are building your dream home so don't settle for a cookie cutter yard. Make it what you've been dreaming of too. Check out these sites.
Here are two websites for Northern Minnesota gardening. The first is a list of trees only and the second is just flowers plus gardening tips.





http://www.mntrees.org/





http://northerngardening.com/Plantguide/鈥?/a>





Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment