Sunday, December 27, 2009

What is a good kayak for a beginner going on flat, calm water?

I just moved to Maryland and live right on a river, with lots of creeks nearby. At the local kayak store they recommended a recreational kayak, the Pungo 120, but I'm looking for some unbiased opinions. Once I'm comfortable in the kayak, I'd like to take my dog (35 lb mixed breed) with me - she's got a life jacket and has been canoing many times, so I know she'd love this - so any additional advice on kayaking with a dog, or kayaks good for human plus dog, would be appreciated.What is a good kayak for a beginner going on flat, calm water?
A recreational decked boat like the Pungo might be a good choice, particularly if it has a large cockpit opening (as the Pungo does). I haven't yet seen a spray skirt that accommodates both a human paddler and a canine passenger, so I assume you will be paddling without a skirt.





With that in mind, you should also consider undecked or ';sit-on-top'; boats. Most have large ';tank wells'; (open storage areas) directly behind the seatback that would accommodate all but the largest breeds of dogs.





Most sit-on-top models also have interior stowage, like decked boats. If you paddle in colder weather you may have to take greater care to dress warmly, but the flipside is you needn't learn how to perform an eskimo roll (though you and your dog should both practice deep water re-entry).





Longer sit-on-top boats can be quite quick in the water and track (paddle in a straight line) well; look at the Wilderness Systems T160 or the Ocean Kayak Prowler 15. Shorter boats generally aren't quite as fast but are more maneuverable; the Wilderness Systems T120 and Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 are good choices.





If your main concern is stability and lots of room, look at the Malibu X-Factor and Wilderness Systems Ride 13.5. Both boats are heavier than even the 15- and 16-foot boats, but are super-stable and dry.





For a bit more money, Hobie Kayaks makes sit-on-top boats of varying lengths (look at the 16-foot Adventure or 13-foot Quest) that also may be pedaled with their MirageDrive system.





Lots of good choices out there. Don't forget a doggie PFD (life jacket) for your buddy. Good luck, and happy paddling. http://www.waterwilderness.netWhat is a good kayak for a beginner going on flat, calm water?
I think a Pungo would be fine. I'm also a sea kayaker, but I don鈥檛' suggest taking a sea kayak on most rivers (I know from experience), especially if they are narrow, lots of turns and obstacles. I don鈥檛 know anything about paddling with a dog, but I suggest you find a place that you can rent one for the day and make sure that鈥檚 what you want.
I think the Pungo is kind of a clunky little boat. Personally (of course, I am biased since I have a sea kayak) I think the short fat ';recreational'; boats are like paddling a bathtub and are more for fooling around in ponds than traveling any distance. Your local shop should have ';loaner boats'; of various styles that you can try out. You can also rent them at a lot of lake and river locations to get a feel for different kinds and what work for the two of you. The longer and thinner the boat, the more pleasurable it is to paddle on flatwater, like rivers, lakes and streams and, considering where you live, eventually perhaps paddle out on Chesapeake Bay. You could look for an open cockpit boat or ';sit on top'; but those have limited use in cooler weather and aren't really safe for big open water except in tropical coastal waters.





One of my paddling buddies, a kayaking guide, has a closed-cockpit sea kayak and would take his medium sized dog (a Keeshond) riding in one of the deck gear hatches with the lid off ! (I'd send you a photo but Answers won't allow it. Send me an e-mail if you want more info.) I've seen folks lash a scrap of carpet under the rigging so their dog could climb out of the hatch and lay out on the deck, also.





You and your dog will have so much fun!
Here is my opinion, the large cockpit is nice on this boat but you can get a large cockpit on most rec. boats. If you are going to bring the dog obviously you would want somewhere for him to sit. I mostly have seen the dog in the cockpit right in between the paddlers legs, if you choose to go this way the pungo 120 angler is the same hull but with fishing attachments. In the newest pungo 120 there is a beam which is part of the seat and connects the front and rear bulkheads for extra strength but it is mostly unnecessary. The capacity is good and as long as you are comfortable in it it wouldn't be too bad as long as you intend to stay in flat, calm, water and not go fast.





If you want a 12' rec. kayak you might also want to consider looking at a Heritage Featherlite Angler 12, the Perception Sundance 12, or if you can find one the Liquid Logic Saluda.





If you intend to hit the bay or explore the eastern shore you might consider a touring boat, but it might be overkill and hard to manuver in smaller creeks and rivers. I kind of wish I knew which river you were on as I live in MD and could really advise you better, or if I knew your height and weight since you might not need as long of a boat, but I would recommend a hull with a somewhat flat bottom compared to a V.





Lastly, I am not sure which store you went to but I recommend Hudson Trail Outfitters, they have three locations in MD and usually have a kayaker on staff who can help you get all the things you need even if they have to special order it. If you live near the Susquahanna, Starkk Moon Kayaks is good too.
  • spa facial
  • refill ink
  • blushers
  • crude oil
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment