Wednesday, December 23, 2009

What is a good bow for a beginner that can hunt everything up to a deer and maybe bigger?

I am 15 and don't have a job. I have the strength for a minimum of 50 and a max of about 70. I will have about 200 to spend on a bow. So what's my best choice?





Thanks,


CurranWhat is a good bow for a beginner that can hunt everything up to a deer and maybe bigger?
i believe hoyt is the best bow on the market. i have 2. they are pricey though. if you look on ebay after christmas and hunting season, you will be able to find one in your price range cause nobody is looking for a bow at that time. its too early and some have gotten new bows for christmas so they are trying to get rid of there old onesWhat is a good bow for a beginner that can hunt everything up to a deer and maybe bigger?
A 35lb bow minimum, but a 45lb is ideal, but no more than a 55lb bow.* A 45 to 47lb is your best choice.* Ebay for some quality name brand bows at reasonable prices.*
A 40 pound bow is more than enough to take a deer. You want a bow that you can comfortably pull, over and over again. Practice is key, if you can't shoot more than 5 arrows before getting tired, then it's not a good weight for you. On a slow day, I usually put in about 60 arrows, a good day I'll shoot around 150 arrows or more.





Now as for the cost, $200 can get you a good bow, but just the bow. If you're going for a compound, you'll need to spend more on sights, release, arrows, rest, etc. That will add up, sometimes those knick knacks will cost you even more than the bow itself. So keep that in mind when looking for a bow. My suggestion is get a part time job, the initial cost for archery can be quite high, but in the long run it's pretty cheap.





Going with recurves, you don't need to spend as much money compared to a compound, but even a decent hunting recurve will cost you about $300, then you need to buy arrows, broadheads, glove/finger tab, quiver, etc. There is ebay, yes, there are some deals on it if you're patient. I know of a guy who got a $400 bow for $13 plus shipping from some freight salvage company.
PSE makes some good bows in that price range.





You can get a good starter bow at Walmart but I would not suggest that. If you are just starting off I would go to a pro shop so you will get a bow that fits you.





I bought my first bow from a department store and the draw was to long. I really struggled with accuracy and missed a lot of deer. But when I bought a bow that fit me and put some decent equipment on it I started putting the deer on the ground.
check out jake's archery online they have some really good recurve and long bows for a good price. 45# 'S IS the minimum for big game. Get a set of regulations or call your game and fish office they can tell you the legal limits. Forget the compounds real bows dont have wheels on them and real archers dont need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment