Wednesday, December 23, 2009

What would be a great beginner motorcycle for me?

I am currently 17 and a senior in high school. I am 6'0 and weigh around 155-160lbs. What motorcycles would you recommend? I really don't like the look of cruisers, would prefer an easy street bike. What is a good price range, good brands, and how much by an estimate, is the Safe Riders Course?





Any extra information will be nice and appreciated. Thank youWhat would be a great beginner motorcycle for me?
Can you ride a bicycle? If not, start with that. If you need to learn how to balance, its better to learn at 5 mph. on a machine that weighs only a few pounds.





Stay away from the hot sportbikes. GSX-R, CBR, R1, R6, almost anything by Ducati. They're great bikes, really, but not for beginners. If you just absolutely HAVE to have one, look at it as something to work up to.





You want a 'standard' (i.e. not a cruiser, not a hot sportbike). Some standards are actually pretty sporty. People recommend the Ninja 250 a lot but for a 6 footer you might find the 250 a little cramped. Someone your height could go up to a 500 or a 650, they don't weigh THAT much more than the 250, and you can ride them on the freeway all day, while the 250 is for mostly around town.





All the Japanese manufacturers are good. They make a good product, well engineered, reliable, long-lived, economical, etc. etc. Get something used, maybe 5 to 10 years old to learn to ride on. Maybe with already a few scrapes and bruises on it already. After six months or a year you can sell this beater for about what you paid for it, and by then you'll know better what you want.





I would say you would pay anywhere between $2000 and $4000 for this bike. Maybe another $500 for helmet, gloves, jacket, maybe boots, maybe both Summer and Winter gloves, and other incidentals. Plus training.





There are many websites with tips for buying a used motorcycle. Just Google 'buying a used motorcycle' and you'll see them.





Good luck! Hope you enjoy it nearly as much as I do!What would be a great beginner motorcycle for me?
I remember when I got my bike loan they figured the safe riders course into it so I can't tell you.





My first bike was a Buell Blast (500cc) and it was a joke. It's good for someone with no sense of safety because they'll never go above a safe speed.





The bigger Buells are by no means slow but won't scare you like a real crotch rocket. They'll also outperform any crotch rocket in the hills because of their better turning performance.
I back It's That Guy's answer, but I wouldn't go as big as a 650. 70 to 80 hp is too much for a beginner. If you need a 250 with a bigger frame, go for the Hyosung GT250. It's Korean, not Japanese. And why the thumbs-down for Myra's answer? A Vespa GTS300 will do over 80mph, and a GT250 about 75. As far as Robot's answer goes - there's nothing wrong with a Buell Blast for a beginner, and I can assure you that the bigger Buells have so much torque that they can easily scare (and kill) you as readily as a ';real'; crotch rocket - whatever that is.
my first bike was a harley 1200 sportster, and I love it to death. I got it when i was 17 it has around 75 horsepower and weighs 600 pounds... I was 5 11 and 150 when i got it. I had no problems. Just buy a bike you like and can afford. In Pennsylvania the PAMSP riding course is free, quick, easy, and a great idea. The 883 Iron on the harley website is about 8000 (about 240 a month) and it`s a great bike that will retain some value and you will definitely turn some heads... Anyone who wants to trash talk harley or my opinion can just hold their breath tho..
i don't know your riding experience but you could always start with the Kawasaki ninja 250 r they are cheap under $4000 and easy to resell when you get more experienced and want to upgrade....the new model even has all the fairings so it looks more like a rocket now
I would say a ninja 250 or 500 is the best beginner bike. Small, not too powerful to control, and great gas mileage. They're not very expensive either. Check out craigslist in your area, i bet you'll find some.
Vespa
  • spa facial
  • refill ink
  • blushers
  • crude oil
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment