Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Can anyone give me some beginner archery tips?

At the moment I'm not worried about the actual hunt. I'm more interested now in learning to shoot and get really good at it. I received a Fred Bear Element compound bow for Christmas set at 28'; 60-70lb draw. The archery shop I got set up at set the bow at like 55lbs to start me out...Is this ok since the bow weight says 60-70? Any other advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!Can anyone give me some beginner archery tips?
Compound bows are very adjustable in draw-weight, so don't worry too much about it. As for learning how to use the bow...





There a few forums I can recommend; they are ';populated'; by some very intelligent, informative people. If you are looking for a book to use, there are also a few of those I can recommend.





First, though, let me say that there is no ';One Right Way'; to do archery; there may be some small differences in methods, and some methods may be better than others -- but what works for one person does not neccesarily work for everyone else. Find what works for YOU, specifically, and stick with it; constantly changing from one method to another is the absolute worst thing you can do. And don't worry about the ';low'; draw weight of your bow; 55 lbs is pretty much nominal for most archers, yet still fairly high for a beginner (even for a compound user). Since you are using a compound bow, what you really need to consider is the ';let-off'; -- the percentage of draw-weight you will actually be holding when you are at ';full draw'; (a 55 lb bow with 80% let-off means you will hold only 11 lbs at full draw - but that amount of let-off is rather high). Just relax and enjoy the archery!





Note: Any ';hard to find'; books, just do a websearch for them. Some are available on-line. If you have any questions, just ask. I will do what I can to provide you with the answer.Can anyone give me some beginner archery tips?
The first thing to learn is that you will never know it all.... I have been bowhuting for 20 years and still learn new ways to hunt and new ways to work on my bow every year. I would suggest that you go get a few lessons from a dealer or coach. The dealer you got set up with should know of someone doing this in your area. One of the hardest things to do is break a bad habbit, if you dont get some pointers from someone that knows what they are doing you will more than likely make a few bad habbits. You can read all the books and look at all the websites you want but there is no better way to learn than hands on... and dont worry, we all make mistakes with our equipment at times. Good luck and it sounds like your on the right track to being a great hunter!!
ARM GUARD. You can buy one in the store or cut off the sleeve of an old sweater or hooded sweatshirt, but believe me, it will help.
There's so much to learn, and it's a lot of fun doing it. Try getting on a couple of websites, www.archerytalk.com , or www.bowsite.com , and lurk and learn. The biggest issue many people have with bows is the bow itself not fitting them, so, if the bow is set up, and fits you, then it's about practicing. I like Carbon arrows, but you can get either Carbon, Aluminium, or a combo. I'd recommend shooting a release w/ that bow, as the short axle-to-axle length causes a LOT of finger pinch. Get on either of the above mentioned sites, and lurk and learn.
Be careful to not hit your face or arm with the string when you let it go, I hear it isn't much fun. Also, don't squeeze the grip, there is a special way to hold it that won't ruin the accuracy. Be careful with broadheads (if you ever start using them hunting or whatever), they are ridiculously sharp and will cut you pretty good quite easily. There are actually some professional archery hunters that were found dead in the woods because they cut an artery on a broadhead and bled out before they could get to any help.
I would recommend a that you have more than one draw point. I use 3. I have my thumb that is by my jaw bone, a kisser button on my mouth, and my nose centered touching the string. I shoot on a 3D archery league, and when i just had my thumb by my jaw i would shoot a 210, after i switched to 3 points i jumped up to a 260. don't worry about accuracy at first. just try to concentrate on your draw and your release. Some guys i know put up a target in their basement at 5 yards, pull to full draw, and concentrate on their release with their eyes closed to try to make them the same every time. They will shoot 50 arrows a night doing this. once you can draw your bow and release fleuently, then move the target out further and concentrate on accuracy.
The Element is a good bow. Join a couple archery sites, listen to people with more experience, and just stick with it and you'll be a good shot in no time.
There really is no magic bullet in archery, it takes practice. With a compound it's easier to get started. Make sure it's setup with a bow sling. Relax the bow hand at full draw and let the bow sling catch the bow after the shot. Use your back muscles to shoot. I suppose you're using a release? If you have one of those trigger releases rest your index finger on the trigger once you're setup to shoot. Squeeze your shoulder blades toward the spine and gently squeeze your fingers of the drawing hand. Don't just squeeze the trigger finger, squeeze the entire hand. This is a technique I use when shooting pistols.
The best thing you can do is just practice shooting at targets and get used to your new bow. I would suggest you wear what you will hunt in so you get used to it. As far as shooting just take your time, control your breathing and once your sight is on release and you should hit it. If you need to sight your bow you can go back to the archery store you bought it and they should help you since you are a beginner I would suggest it. A release is a lot better than trying to use your fingers but practice is your main objective right now.
Practice!


The lighter weight won't hurt you or the bow


to start out on.


Learn a consistant release.


Learn to 'finger shoot' first.(The skill is valuable even


if you later go to a release.


Follow through, (that bow shouldn't move till


you see the arrow hit).


It's good that the bow is adjustable.


You will soon be comfortable with more draw weight,


and you might find that you stretch out and can use


another 1/2'; to an inch of length.


Don't cut your arrows too short too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment